Sunday, July 13, 2008

Why I am Austin

Until this year, I had lived all my adult life in Austin, Texas. During that time my name was Bruce. Bruce is a fine name, but it was also my father's name. Before he died a couple of years ago, we'd often get each others calls (he also lived in Austin). And during my childhood, I went through stages when I wanted to change my name, in large part to distinguish myself from my father.

So I've always been fascinated with the idea of switching identities, and our move to Corvallis provided a good opportunity, especially since our new cohousing community already has an established Bruce whose last name also happens to begin with "H." I picked the name Austin because:
  • I liked the name.
  • I wanted to commemorate my hometown.
  • It might have been my given name, if my mother had had sufficient foresight.
That last point needs explaining. I am the oldest of 4 boys. I was born in Austin; #2 was also born in Austin; #3 was born in Dallas; and #4 was born in Flint, Michigan (when our family lived there for a little while). We were named Bruce, Don, Gary, and Mark. But my mother has often mused that she should have named us Austin, Travis (the county that Austin is in), Dallas, and Flint. Well, 25% of her fantasy has now become reality.

It's taken some getting used to, and of course all my old friends and family still call me Bruce, which is fine. I've discovered I can be both. I am a city; I contain multitudes!

No comments: