Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Brother, Can You Spare a Buck

Last Saturday on NPR's Weekend Edition, I heard a wonderful story on the history of the Depression-era song "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime." Pianist and composer Rob Kapilow took an in-depth look at the song to explore "why it was so successful in its time, and why it still speaks to listeners today." It's worth checking out. Both the audio and the transcript of the story are here on the NPR site. I suggest listening to the audio, because the story is "illustrated" with example passages from the tune.

Anyway, I couldn't get the song out of my head; so I decided to update the lyrics:

Once I built a Web site, made it shine.
Man, it brought me good luck.
Once I built a Web site. Now it's dyin'.
Brother, can you spare a buck?

Once I had a boutique in the mall --
Wind chimes, candles, wooden duck.
Once I had a boutique -- that was last fall.
Sister, can you spare a buck?

Once I owned a mansion in a nice suburb --
heated pool, gas grill, steak of chuck.
Once I had a mansion. Now I'm on the curb.
Brother, can you spare a buck?

Once in desert camo, God, we looked great,
Full of that with-or-against-us.
Half a million limbs we had to amputate.
And I was the kid most zealous!

Say, don't you remember? They called me "Dude."
It was "Hey, Dude!" you used to holler.
Why don't you remember? I just need some food.
Say, buddy, can you spare a dollar?

Copyright, Austin Bruce Hallock, 2008

No comments: