Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Carcinoid Comeback



Basic Story
On December 20th, I'm having major surgery at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) in Portland. I have a slow-growing form of cancer called carcinoid tumors and the related syndrome. It's spread in my body, and some intestine and other stuff will probably have to come out. Depending on the extent of what the surgeon (Dr. Rodney Pommier) finds once he gets in there and starts mucking around, I will probably be 5 to 10 days in the hospital. Leela will be there with me (I'm so grateful for her!). My surgeon believes that, even given the most extensive scenario, after a few months of recovery, I should still have a fully functional digestive system and not be limited in my activities. Hearing this astonished me, considering the breathtaking scope of the pending procedure. And, most encouraging of all, the cancer will likely be, if not cured, in abeyance for the long term. Meanwhile, I'm apprehensive and, yes, frightened. Fortunately I am currently pain free and feeling well, and my activities aren't limited. My only symptoms are frequent facial flushing (which some of you may have noticed, since it's been going on for a while), transitory dark-purple splotches on my forearms (which I normally keep covered), and some minor intestinal distress. I'm glad to discuss this with anyone.

More Details
About 11 years ago, I had this same kind of tumors I in my small intestine, which nearly killed me due to internal bleeding. At that time, 40cm of small intestine was removed. I recovered quickly and have, until recently, remained symptom free, so I thought I was pretty well done with it.

Alas, that was not so.

This year my annual blood test revealed an elevation of a telltale marker. This prompted my oncologist (ever the cautious one) to have me undergo a series of scans. The final scan turned up a ~2cm mass in the tissue that connects the intestines to the abdominal wall (the mesentery). He thought this could probably be removed through a small incision in my belly button (like last time) and the process would be pretty simple. So he sent me to Dr. Rodney Pommier at OHSU in Portland, who happens to be the West Coast's premier expert on carcinoid cancer (a specialty among specialties, it seems).

"Not so simple," Dr. Pommier said as Leela and I sat in his exam room on October 5th. The presence of the cancer in the current area indicates that it has most likely spread. The mesentery structure is dotted with lymph nodes, and the lymphatic system can act as a highway for cancer cells. Major exploratory surgery is necessary. Carcinoids are fairly slow growing and, in some other ways, unlike other forms of cancer, but it can still do you in. It could be in my liver or the ascending portion of my large intestine or both. This time I don't have the intestinal bleeding, though I do have the rather benign symptoms mentioned earlier. The surgeon will cut out whatever needs removing during the same operation as the exploration. The procedure is booked as a "diagnostic laparoscopy, intraoperative ultrasound liver, bowel resection, possible cholecystectomy, possible liver debulking." I'm glad to talk about this with anyone. I think it helps to talk.

No comments: