Saturday, August 9, 2008

Climate Refugees

Climate refugees -- that's what we are, if the truth be told. "Amenity migrants" is another term, perhaps more precise because it covers a broader range of reasons for relocating. We moved to the Northwest not only to escape the heat and drought, but to trade the big city for small-town life. And for the adventure of a new life in a new kind of community far away from home.

At one time in my life, I dreamed of living on another planet -- Mars perhaps. The idea still holds more than a little allure. If I did move there, no one could accuse me of being a climate refugee or amenity migrant. It would be very cold and dryer than dry, and no natural-food store within walking distance. But perhaps adventure is an amenity. It's certainly a luxury I'm fortunate to be able to afford.

No comments: