Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Whether the Weather Withers or Not

Yes, I really like the weather here in Corvallis. I like the rain and cold of winter. I like the cool mornings and evenings of summer. Once in a while it gets up in the 90s, even touching 100, but it doesn't stay there long. Evening usually brings breezes from the coast, and we're back down in the 50s or low 60s.

I keep the Austin weather page bookmarked on my computer, just so I can assure myself that I'm in the right place. Yep!

We don't have air conditioning, and most people here don't. At night I open all the windows. Before dawn I put fans in the windows. When the sun comes up, I shut the windows and trap the cool air. Sometimes I kind of overdo it, keeping the inside temperature in the mid-60s all day long. I've still got my Texas weather wariness -- worried that the house will get too hot. Maybe I overreact. But most of the time it's very pleasant inside our home. There have only been a couple of days when we wished it were cooler.

No comments: